RF98 Van Diemen for sale.
I just spent the past couple years refreshing this formula ford in preparation for a transition from autocrossing to road racing. But sadly, the Covid-19 pandemic caught up to my job and after running the numbers, I have to let this go.
I know you have heard it before, but this car is just about ready to go racing. this year I was supposed to get the log book and competition license. I was planning to develop the chassis while autocrossing, then start road racing next year. But the pandemic hit instead and with the racing shut down, I cannot get the log book (yet)
The previous owner had already started the refresh when I bought the chassis. When I purchased it, it already had a new fuel cell, and floor, bonded and riveted. The bell housing is one of the hard to find magnesium alloy units.
When I bought the car, I paid about $9,000 for the chassis, and along with the sale I ordered a new suspension. Through out the build I eventually bought all the new parts from the previous owner along with a lot of parts coming from Primus and motorsports west.
Lots of new parts were used in this build
new Engine parts:
- new front upper mount
- new engine studs
- new oil lines
- new fuel pump
- new quartermaster flywheel
- new Tilton clutch & pressure plate
- new Tilton slave cylinder
- new valve cover
- new air filter
- new billet oil tank swirl pot.
- new body panels (left & right)
- new side pod floors (left & right)
- new radiators (left & right)
- new radiator trays
- new radiator ducts
- new side pod covers
- new rear crossbeam
- new front skid plate
- all new spacers and reducers through out the chassis
Suspension parts (all 4 corners!!!)
- New wishbones & rod ends
- new steering track rods
- new billet Van Diemen universal uprights from Primus
- new block rear upright pieces
- new wheel studs
- new axles (hollow)
- new wheel bearings
- new two new hubs
- new OZ wheels from Primus Racing
- new tripod housings (inner and outer)
- new tripod joints
- new tripod boots
- new axles nuts
- new steering arms
- new Wilwood WLD20 brake calipers
- new KFP magnum red brake pads
- new brake lines
- new velocityhaus toe kits
- new velocityhaus pushrod shim kits
- new brake bias adjuster cable
- new battery covers
- new battery
- new pedal assembly (throttle, brake, clutch)
- new steering column
- new AIM EVO4s Data logger
- new AIM GS Dash
- new HP laptop for data logger
- new wiring harness
Used Parts in the refresh:
- LD-200 (10:31) – purchased this from Greg Rice @ RaceRice Prep – $5500
- Penske 8760 shocks – $4000
- exhaust system
- supertrap muffler – this has been measured @93db at WOT with no discs installed.
- lower front engine mount
- oil pan
- engine cover
- front nose (with laminated honeycomb crash structure)
- front shock cover & cowl.
- front brake hubs
- brake rotors – these are the heavy PFC formula continental rotors.
- full jabrock skid plate
- And a lot more that I am forgetting about.
- full set of wishbones with all rod ends & hardware
- new velocityhaus billet uprights
- 2 axles
- lots of extra nut & bolts (AN) and miscellaneous parts.
- gears for the LD-200 (see inventory below)
- Velocityhaus carbon fiber Van Diemen alignment bars
- I have some two part foam and a seat bag included with the sale.
- 13/37 – 2.846 with fixed layshaft
- 17/30 – 1.765 with regular layshaft
- 16/35 – 2.188
- 19/33 – 1.737
- 19/32 – 1.684
- 2×17/28 – 1.647
- 16/24 – 1.5
- 22/30 – 1.364
- 21/27 – 1.286
- 19/23 – 1.211
- 26/29 – 1.115
- 22/28 – 1.272
- the shocks need to be serviced. I have not had the opportunity to do this yet.
- race tires just look like race tires; they are 3 years old and have a hardness similar to the tires on the tow vehicle.
- safety harness is expired. It’s ok for autocross, but it will need to be replaced
- no seat yet.
cold start video: https://youtu.be/vaoxOd3T73k
I have driven the car a couple times in autocross for a shakedown and it feels like it has a lot of potential. the transmission shifts butter smooth. The engine compression is good, leak down checks are within spec the last time I checked.
I really would like to ask $30k or more for the car, but it’s technically not finished and not where I would want to ask that much. I think realistically a price of $25,000 is fair and I will entertain all reasonable offers. I probably have close to $40k in this car if you price out all the parts listed above. I am taking a huge loss, but it’s unavoidable at this point.
I also have available an Aluma flat bed trailer 7×12 that is setup to haul a formula ford. I purchased this trailer new in 2012 and it has been garage kept since I have owned it. the trailer weighs 600lbs empty and tows fantastic. When towing the formula ford I see about a 5-10% drop in millage. On my TDI diesel VW I get a normal 27mpg in commuting traffic. Towing the formula ford, I see and average of 25mpg. Trailer is $1500 – obo, car buyer has first dibs on the trailer.
After the car and trailer are gone, I’ll also have available a genuine Brenner lift and stand for sale. $1500
In the mean time, I hope to find a job soon so I can pull this ad down.
Price: $25,000 – OBO
contact me at: Chrisdwarner52@gmail.com