Back in January I while getting the Evo ready for another season I finally had to address the front lower lip. It was basically falling off the car because half of the right side mounts had been sheared off from all the past years of hitting hapless cones.
A couple of years ago I replace the stock under tray with a BeatRush under tray. this under tray is constructed from 3/16″ aluminum and was precision cut to fit the Evo. Which it does perfectly. The BeatRush under tray provided enough support for the front lip to really tie everything together and it held up well against high-speed cone impacts. If you are looking for a good under tray, take a look at the BeatRush units.
The stock front lower lip is actually quite expensive if you buy it from Mitsubishi. I found this local company Bayson R Motorsports. http://www.baysonr.com
They have for sale these cheap FRP plastic front lower lips really cheap. I bought a knock off of a Varis front lip. Once I had everything apart I began to work on the test fit.
It was cold out, about 45 degrees. That kept the FRP plastic pretty hard, and worse, the lip was warped. I honestly did not think I could get the lip to fit. But I started working the plastic with a heat gun and slowly I began to stitch the new lip onto the original front bumper skin. One of the parts that I like about this Bayson R front lip was that the mounts for the lip were solid molded plastic so there was plenty of material to screw into. As I stitched the lip onto the bumper skin, this created quite a nice fit as long as I took the time to get the plastic hot enough to bend into place.
Still, I quickly came up with a problem. The inside cut on the Bayson r front lip was incorrect and I had no way to attach the front lip to the under tray as it is supposed to be.
I am a little disappointed that I was having these issues, but hey, I only paid $100 for the lip, so what’s there to complain about?
I needed a way to fill the gap between the lip and the under tray. Then I remembered some blog post where they author made his own carbon fiber front splitter using a plywood template and other who kept the plywood unit.
Both examples came out really well, but I was not ready to go with a full front splitter until I could afford to get a rear wing for the full aero package. But I figured that if plywood works well enough to fabricate a full splitter, then it should work where I need it to fill the gap.
first I measured the inside edge of the front lip and cut a piece of 1/4″ plywood into a shape that would fit inside the lip. Then I measured the edge of the under tray and cut away any unnecessary plywood, I only needed to fill a small gap, not make a full under tray. To fasten the front lip to the under tray I used 10x8mm bolts with the recessed nuts in the plywood for easy installation.
I used 16 bolts to connect the under tray to the front lip, same as the original under tray. I also upgraded some of the plastic fasteners on the fender liners to provide more support. I can’t tell if that actually does anything, but the less of those damn plastic fasteners the better.
Below is the finished product installed.